Thursday, December 17, 2009

Graffiti of Istanbul

The walls cannot talk but people make them talk. The walls gain personalization through graffiti. When a single letter, even a line is put on a wall, that wall transforms to another entity from a simple seperator of property or possession.

So I'd like to share a very tiny portion of Istanbul's underground voice with you. And remember, these are only the tip of the seen part of the iceberg. For the ones that contain text, I will give their English translation beside them.

Let's start with a classic:



















says: Prince charming, don't bother to come!
(probably written by a girl who was waiting her prince)









I call them "Three gazers" because....they are gazing!




This is another gazer:
active collective - heads chase dreams!
says: "The Association of the Ones Who are Afraid of Telling the Truth "

says: "An image cannot be real!"

says: "Speak"

This is pretty much "universal" i presume.



That's all for now. I will post new ones when I go out and collect them. I'll see you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment